I just made a list of all the so-called food rules I have absorbed over the years and, let me just say, I was stunned. I had no idea how much garbage has been implanted in my brain, garbage that has defined how I see myself, how I nourish myself and most importantly, how I deprive and shame myself.
- Weight loss/maintenance depends on 80% food and 20% exercise
- You can’t out exercise a bad diet
- Eat healthy food 80% of the time, “cheat” the other 20%
- Sugar is evil. It feeds cancer cells. It’s as addictive as cocaine.
- Carbs are bad
- Fat is bad
- Avoid white foods: rice, bread, potatoes, flour
- Gluten is an inflammatory
- Dairy causes mucous
- Don’t eat after 7 PM
- Fast for 12-18 every day
- Break your fast with a smoothie or green juice
- Eat only fruits one a day week
- The less ingredients, the healthier the food
- Track every morsel you put in your mouth
- A moment on the lips, forever on the hips
- Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels
- Use a small plate
- Leave 20% on your plate
- Dont’ serve family style as it encourages second helpings
- Don’t go back for seconds
- Don’t eat off your child’s plate cuz a bite here and a bite there adds up
- Sip water or tea while cooking so you don’t taste as you go cuz those tastes add up
- Brush your teeth as soon as you are done eating so you won’t want to eat more
- Don’t go to all you can eat buffets
- Eat before going to a party so you don’t eat the party food
- Fill up on soup (clear broth of course) before a meal
- Eat salad after a meal to aid digestion
- Measure all foods and liquids
- Eat at the table without the distraction of reading or TV
I could probably come up with 30 more but this is enough for now. Seriously, it is enough forever.
What a waste of precious brain space and energy these rules are. They suck the fun out of something that should bring me joy: feeding and nourishing this body of mine.
It’s hard to let them go but I am trying. Just writing them out, getting them out of the dark recesses of my subconscious and into the light of day is helpful. I can’t change what I don’t see.
By doing this, I am clearing out space for my dreams, for my sanity, for my Self.